Skip to main content

My Favorite Zucchini Bread

I've been baking with my Mom since forever and she is my favorite person to bake with. She's my sous chef and my teacher. She has so many cookbooks and recipes written on scraps of paper, but she won't follow any of them. I'm all about measuring everything so it is perfect, my mom on the other hand enjoys "eye-balling" it. And somehow it always turns out delicious. 

The recipe for this Zucchini bread came from a very old cookbook and we've been making it for as long as I can remember. It tastes like home and is one of my all time comfort foods. 

It's different because the recipe calls for crushed pineapple. When I moved to college and finally had a place with my own kitchen, I was ready to make some zucchini bread, but I didn't have the recipe. So I looked up zucchini bread recipes on Pinterest and gave it a shot. To be fair, the bread was good, but not as good as my mom's. I really think the pineapple does something special to it. 

With that in mind I made it a priority to get the recipe! So last time I was in Denver I went through a few of my mom's favorite recipes and took pictures so that I can add them to my personal recipe book. 

This bread is quick and easy to put together and will blow all other zucchini bread out of the water! Now let's get to baking!

For this recipe you will need: 
  • 3 cups of Flour
  • 2 Tsp. of Baking Soda
  • 1 Tsp. of Salt
  • 1/2 Tsp. of Baking Powder
  • 1 1/2 Tsp. of cinnamon
  • 1 8oz. Can of Crushed Pineapple, drained
  • 3 Eggs
  • 2 cups of Sugar
  • 1 cup of Oil
  • 2 Tsp. of Vanilla
  • 2 Cups of shredded zucchinni
The first step is to combine your dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. 
Next, lightly beat the three eggs in another bowl. Add sugar, oil, and vanilla and beat until it is creamy. 
Stir in the drained pineapple and zucchini. 

Next, prepare your baking pans. I ended up getting the Sprouts Coconut Oil spray to help with sticking and I have definitely seen the difference. Only fill the pan half way, or else your bread will take forever to bake and you run the risk of over baking the outside and under baking the inside.
NOTE: this recipe makes enough for two loaves 

Now it's time to pop that guy in the oven! Have the oven preheated to 350 degrees and bake your bread for an hour. When that hour is up, check to be sure that your bread is done by sticking in a toothpick and seeing it it comes out clean. 

Let the bread rest for about ten minutes before digging in. This is the perfect breakfast bread or any time of day snack! And since it makes enough for two loaves, it is the perfect opportunity to share with friends. Since we are all going back to work now, it's nice to bring in a little something to keep everyone's spirits up. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Applesauce Cake with Icing Glazing

This week I'd love to share another recipe from Pie in the Sky , a cookbook with variations on recipes for all altitudes. She has traveled across the country, borrowing kitchens from "friends in high places" as she puts it.  While reading through her chapter about testing recipes at different elevations, it became very clear that this was a very taxing job. She describes making dozens of batches of bran muffins just to see them cave in every time. It took many tries to get the perfect dome. And that's how all of the recipes went.  If you can't get your hands on this cookbook or one like it, there are plenty of online resources to find pre-tested high altitude recipes. I'd recommend starting with blogs like Dough-Eyed  and My Kitchen in the Rockies . There are so many great tips for baking at high altitude, so don't let yourself get discouraged!  This week's cake is a spicy and sweet dense cake that will get you in the holiday spirit. Don't let the ...

Baking at Altitude

My family and I moved from Maryland to Colorado when I was 11. Baking has always been a fun activity for my mom and I to do together, but we were warned when we moved here that we would have to change all of our recipes. This can be kind of difficult, so a family friend recommend the cookbook Pie in the Sk y. The author, Susan G. Purdy, worked out her recipes all over the country with different altitudes so that you can use this book no matter where you are. She does all of the classics and some fun new recipes that will turn out perfectly even at a mile high. I will definitely be using some of her recipes in the upcoming weeks. If you want to modify your own recipes there are some easy rules to follow: Oven Temperature: Increase the temperature 15-25 degrees Baking Time: Decrease your time by 5-7 minutes per 30 minutes of baking Flour: If you live above 3,500 ft. you should add 1 tablespoon of flour to your recipe Sugar: Decrease 1 tablespoon per cup Liquids: If you live abov...

Classic Chocolate Cake

I decided I wanted to start off this blog with a classic chocolate cake. I've surprisingly not made many cakes in my lifetime, but I had a really good time putting this one together.  I decided to go with a two layer cake because I was feeling ambitious and I've been watching too many baking shows on Netflix. It was a fun challenge and I think that anyone can handle a cake like this. My biggest concern was my cakes sticking to the pan. I made the decision to only grease them with butter, but next time I would recommend using a baking spray  to ensure that they won't stick. I've seen other people recommend parchment paper. I've never tried it, but maybe I will for my next cake and report back.  I only had one area crumble, so I'm pretty proud of my work! And I fixed it up with some buttercream so no one would ever have noticed!  My 8 inch cake pans are from T.J. Maxx, but you can get them anywhere and all of the ingredients should be available...