Skip to main content

Why We're Here

The point of this blog is to learn how to have a blog and write in a journalistic style. I am not a journalist, so this will be an exciting challenge for me. I think of myself as a strong writer for things like research papers, so this will be a change of pace. Being a psychology major, not much of my writing is about me, it is usually more research based. I'm looking forward to starting this blog. I have had a blog before for my Girl Scout Gold Award, but I haven't posted on there since my project was active.

The beat I've gone with is baking and I was drawn to this idea because of the huge influx of people spending their time baking. For me, baking has always been a relaxing activity, but now more than ever it has become a productive activity to fill your day. I know that I am struggling without my fix of yummy breads and scones from coffee shops and baguettes and pastries from local bakeries. We are all missing these, so we have taken to the kitchen!

My goal is to create an archive of recipes and tips for healthy and high altitude baking. Living in Colorado there is an added challenge of altitude. Not to fear, I will give all of the tips and tricks for how to make any recipe a success no matter where you live. I'll be posting weekly so that there are always new ideas to choose from.

I've been in the kitchen my whole life, so choosing to cover baking felt natural. I use baking as a tool to ground myself and to connect with others. Taking time to myself is a very important part of maintaining my mental health, and making delicious creations is the perfect way to do it. I usually make so much that my partner and I could never possibly eat it all (nor should we), so I love sharing my goodies with my friends and co-workers. Eating sweets all the time isn't a sustainable lifestyle, so I am excited to experiment with healthy alternatives. I work at Sprouts Farmers Market and have plenty of resources to find better choices for my baked goods.

We're living in a strange time in 2020 with COVID-19 shutting down the world. We've experienced things we have never experienced before, like homeschooling, empty grocery isles, restaurants and coffee shops shutting down, and the ever-present fear of what could be. Lots of people have picked up baking as a way to fill their days and give them a sense of purpose. Grocery stores have been out of things like yeast for weeks because everyone is trying to make bread. It is curious how we turn back to basic activities for comfort during times of transition. I hope to create content that brings hope and joy and can help people cope with the current state of things.

Comments

  1. Ooh yum! I can't wait to read more about this blog! Having moved from Oklahoma to Colorado almost a decade ago, one thing I still struggle to do properly is adjust my cooking to the altitude I'm living in. I'm super excited to see the recipes you end up making, and honestly I'll probably steal a few to make for my girlfriend and I. Will you be posting videos of the creation process too? Or maybe pictures to help follow along? Either way, I'm excited to try some of these recipes out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Applesauce Cake with Icing Glazing

This week I'd love to share another recipe from Pie in the Sky , a cookbook with variations on recipes for all altitudes. She has traveled across the country, borrowing kitchens from "friends in high places" as she puts it.  While reading through her chapter about testing recipes at different elevations, it became very clear that this was a very taxing job. She describes making dozens of batches of bran muffins just to see them cave in every time. It took many tries to get the perfect dome. And that's how all of the recipes went.  If you can't get your hands on this cookbook or one like it, there are plenty of online resources to find pre-tested high altitude recipes. I'd recommend starting with blogs like Dough-Eyed  and My Kitchen in the Rockies . There are so many great tips for baking at high altitude, so don't let yourself get discouraged!  This week's cake is a spicy and sweet dense cake that will get you in the holiday spirit. Don't let the

Flag Day Cupcakes

This week we encountered another obscure holiday this week, Flag Day. Seems like it's the prequel to the Fourth of July, but not as hyped. So I looked into it and made some patriotic cupcakes!   Flag day was established in 1916 to commemorate the adoption of the American flag that was passed in 1777. This Flag Resolution stated that  "the flag of the thirteen United States be thirteen stripes, alternate red and white; that the union be thirteen stars, white in a blue field, representing a new constellation." Every second Sunday in June we also celebrate the creation of the U.S. Army which happened in 1775.  Another event remembered on Flag Day is the Bear Flag Revolt on the Pacific Coast. American settlers and mountain  men arrested a Mexican General and declared themselves an independent republic. The bear can still be found on the Californian flag today.  Now that we've got a little understanding of Flag Day, let's dig into some yummy cupcakes!  This is a recipe

No Yeast Bread

If your grocery store is like mine, you may still be struggling to find all of the ingredients needed to do your at home baking. I specifically have not been able to find yeast.  Yeast is the magic ingredient that makes bread light and fluffy. It works by consuming the sugars and producing carbon-dioxide and alcohol.  I have been wanting to try my hand at bread making, but since there is no yeast to be found, I’ve been looking into no yeast breads. In our Covid-19 world we should not be left without bread! It seems like the solution is to make a denser bread that only needs baking soda to rise. The results are chewy and thick bread that leaves you satisfied.  Since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic, people have been rushing to the grocery stores and buying up all of the yeast, flour, and eggs so that their baking pantries will be stocked. If you weren’t one of those panicked people you may be lacking some of those ingredients now. Luckily this is a nation-wide issue so many other blog