Skip to main content

Something Savory

I didn't think about how by running a baking blog would mean that I have sweets around the house all of the time. So this week I decided to make us a tomato pie! 

This pie is a savory mix of cheese and tomatoes. The biggest challenge for me with this recipe was the crust. I'm all about making everything homemade yourself, so of course I had to go with my own crust. 

Now for the recipe:
  • 2-3 Tomatoes
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 cup of Ricotta Cheese
  • 1 cup of Chive Cream Cheese
  • 1/2 cup of Shredded Parmesan Cheese
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Chives

In a bowl whisk the egg and then add the ricotta cheese, cream cheese, half of the parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper.

Set that aside and get ready to make the crust.
  • 1 1/4 cup of Flour
  • 1 Tbsp. of Suger
  • 1/4 Tsp. of Salt
  • 1 Stick of Butter cut into 1/4 inch cubes
  • 3 Tbsp. of Cold Water

Stir together the flour, sugar, and salt and then cut in the cold butter. Lots of blogs I read recommended using a food processor, but I don't have one of those. To compensate, I simply used two knives. 
Add the water and mix. (Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty!)
Transfer the dough to a floured surface to roll out to the size of your pie pan.
Place the crust in the pan and fill with the cheese mixture. Top with sliced tomatoes, the other half of the parmesan and chives. 
Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.

Dig in and Enjoy!












Comments

  1. That looks amazing! I wouldn't of ever thought about trying a recipe as delicious as this one. Every bite looks so savory and I appreciate how your steps are simple and easy to follow. I cannot wait to try this out myself! Thank-you for the great recipe and the fantastic tips!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Applesauce Cake with Icing Glazing

This week I'd love to share another recipe from Pie in the Sky , a cookbook with variations on recipes for all altitudes. She has traveled across the country, borrowing kitchens from "friends in high places" as she puts it.  While reading through her chapter about testing recipes at different elevations, it became very clear that this was a very taxing job. She describes making dozens of batches of bran muffins just to see them cave in every time. It took many tries to get the perfect dome. And that's how all of the recipes went.  If you can't get your hands on this cookbook or one like it, there are plenty of online resources to find pre-tested high altitude recipes. I'd recommend starting with blogs like Dough-Eyed  and My Kitchen in the Rockies . There are so many great tips for baking at high altitude, so don't let yourself get discouraged!  This week's cake is a spicy and sweet dense cake that will get you in the holiday spirit. Don't let the ...

Baking at Altitude

My family and I moved from Maryland to Colorado when I was 11. Baking has always been a fun activity for my mom and I to do together, but we were warned when we moved here that we would have to change all of our recipes. This can be kind of difficult, so a family friend recommend the cookbook Pie in the Sk y. The author, Susan G. Purdy, worked out her recipes all over the country with different altitudes so that you can use this book no matter where you are. She does all of the classics and some fun new recipes that will turn out perfectly even at a mile high. I will definitely be using some of her recipes in the upcoming weeks. If you want to modify your own recipes there are some easy rules to follow: Oven Temperature: Increase the temperature 15-25 degrees Baking Time: Decrease your time by 5-7 minutes per 30 minutes of baking Flour: If you live above 3,500 ft. you should add 1 tablespoon of flour to your recipe Sugar: Decrease 1 tablespoon per cup Liquids: If you live abov...

Classic Chocolate Cake

I decided I wanted to start off this blog with a classic chocolate cake. I've surprisingly not made many cakes in my lifetime, but I had a really good time putting this one together.  I decided to go with a two layer cake because I was feeling ambitious and I've been watching too many baking shows on Netflix. It was a fun challenge and I think that anyone can handle a cake like this. My biggest concern was my cakes sticking to the pan. I made the decision to only grease them with butter, but next time I would recommend using a baking spray  to ensure that they won't stick. I've seen other people recommend parchment paper. I've never tried it, but maybe I will for my next cake and report back.  I only had one area crumble, so I'm pretty proud of my work! And I fixed it up with some buttercream so no one would ever have noticed!  My 8 inch cake pans are from T.J. Maxx, but you can get them anywhere and all of the ingredients should be available...